Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 25/08/2012

25 August 2012

Match Reports

Match Report : 25/08/2012

25 August 2012

Reds beat Doncaster 1-0

Nicky Ajose's first goal for Crawley Town was enough to seal a brilliant 1-0 win away at Doncaster Rovers.

The Peterborough loanee pounced with just three minutes left to prod home substitute Josh Simpson's shot that was drifting wide.

It sealed a magnificent three points for Richie Barker's side who defended resolutely throughout to secure their first ever away win in League 1.

Richie made four changes to the side that lost 3-0 at Swindon on Tuesday as Sergio Torres, David Hunt, Shaun Cooper and Ajose came into the XI.


Out went Josh Simpson, Mark Connolly, Dannie Bulman and Jose Simpson as Reds switched to a 4-4-2 formation with Ajose partnering captain Gary Alexander in attack.

The first real effort on goal came from the hosts in the 10th minute as Martin Woods hit a 20-yard volley that was comfortably saved by Paul Jones in Reds' goal.

Minutes later the hosts had an even better chance as Billy Paynter met David Cotterill's cross, but his close range effort was well saved by Jones.

That chance seemed to wake Reds up and they began to compose themselves on the ball, without testing Doncaster's goalkeeper Gary Woods.

Just before the half hour the visitors had claims for a penalty turned away as Hope Akpan looked to have been tripped in the box.

Reds' first effort on goal came in the 35th minute as Hunt's long throw met the head of Kyle McFadzean, but the defender's header drifted just wide.

Moments later and the hosts had another chance to go in front as Paynter ran clear. The former Brighton striker failed to find the target, though, as his shot drifted just wide of Jones' goal.

With three minutes to go until half time, Reds had their best effort so far. Torres did well to win it back in midfield and found Nicky Adams, but his curling effort from 25-yards went just over the crossbar.

Reds were certainly ending the half in the ascendency and almost went ahead through Torres, but the midfielder's shot went just over.

Doncaster were the first to create in the second period, as Cotterill's long drive was comfortably held by Jones before Torres blasted wide for Reds at the other end.

With just over 20 minutes to go, Reds were forced into a change as Claude Davis was replaced by Simpson after getting a cut on his forehead which needed stitches.

Moments later Simpson almost made it 1-0. His shot, though, drifted just wide of Woods' goal.

At the other end, Syers saw his header cleared off the line by Mat Sadler. From the resulting corner, Rob Jones couldn't keep his header down.

Reds were pressing for a winner and it almost came in the 86th minute as Ajose twisted and turned his way into the box before firing a low drive towards goal only to see Woods parry it to safety.

Ajose didn't have to wait long for his first Reds goal as from the next attack he was on hand to turn home Simpson's effort to give Barker's side the lead with just five minutes left to play.

It was almost 2-0 with the seconds ticking away, as Adams saw his curling effort well saved by Woods as the visitors hit on the break.

One goal was enough though as Reds sealed a memorable win at the Keepmoat to make it two wins from three so far this season.

Attendance 6,403 (225 Reds fans)


Reds: Jones; Hunt, Davis (Simpson 69), McFadzean, Sadler; Adams, Cooper, Akpan, Torres; Ajose (Bulman 89), Alexander. Subs not used: Kuipers, Neilson, Forte, Bulman, Connolly, Simpson, Clarke

G.Woods; Spurr, Jones, McCombe, Quinn; Bennett, Cotterill, Syers, Woods; Brown (Coppinger (64), Paynter. Subs not used: Sullivan, Keegan, Harper, Husband, BlakeDoncaster:

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account