Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Crawley Town v Bury

13 October 2012

Match Reports

Crawley Town v Bury

13 October 2012

Nicky Adams scored a sensational winner 30 seconds from the end of stoppage time to earn Reds a hard-earned three points against battling Bury.

Richie Barker's boys looked to be on their way to a comfortable three points after Adams (39 mins) and Hope Akpan (54) made it 2-0 either side of half-time.

But the Shakers shook up Reds with two goals in four minutes midway through the second half and for a spell they looked the likely winners. However, Reds rallied and after Kyle McFadzean had thundered a shot off the underside of the bar Adams saw his cross float in over keeper Trevor Carson for his fifth goal in four games.

Bury were stunned but the home fans in a crowd of 3,300 celebrated a win which lifted Reds into fourth place in the table.

The boss had made one change to the side that lost 2-1 to Brentford in our last league game with Nicky Ajose coming in against his former club up front in place of Jon Forte, although there were six alterations to the midweek JPT defeat at Griffin Park.

With three ex-Bury players in the home line-up there was added incentive and one of them, Adams, had the first chance in the ninth minute. Ajose's decoy run allowed Adams to glide past as couple of markers but his angled drive shaved the far post with keeper Trevor Carson beaten.

It heralded a good spell for the home side who began to create decent opportunities. On 12 minutes Hope Akpan won a 50-50 in midfield and the ball fell for Ajose to run at a retreating defence but he dragged his shot wide. Nathan Byrne then overlapped down the right and whipped over an inviting cross which Gary Alexander headed just wide.

Mike Jones was next to threaten after he received a good pass from Ajose. Jones had time and space 20 yards out but elected to hit his shot first-time and it sailed well over the target.

Reds struggled to maintain their early tempo and although Bury seldom threatened at the other end the next 20 minutes or so were extremely scrappy.

Then, two minutes before the break, Reds put together a good passing move to break the deadlock. Akpan's pass found Jones on the left and he got to the by-line before crossing to the far post where ADAMS was on hand to lash the ball into the roof of the next from eight yards having come in from his wing.

Bury began the second half with more menace but Reds broke devastatingly from a visitors' corner to double their lead after 54 minutes. Adams led the counter-attack with a strong run before laying the ball into the path of AKPAN 12 yards out on the left-hand side of the box and he drilled a powerful shot past Carson.

It was against the run of play at that stage but apart from a header by Andy Bishop straight at Jones Bury didn't create much until the 65th minute when they pulled one back when Craig Jones  stood up a cross from the left after a quick throw-in and Tom HOPPER headed past Paul Jones from close range.

Now the visitors began to press and four minutes later they were level when Steven Schumacher produced a lovely cross from the right and BISHOP gave Jones no chance with a powerful header at the far post.

The game had been turned on its head and it nearly got worse for Reds on 77 minutes but Bishop fired wide from a great position inside the box when he should have at least worked Jones. 

Barker had brought on Sergio Torres and Forte by this stage and Reds began to work their way back into the game. Josh Simpson's side-footer forced Carson into a save and then the midfielder found Torres eight yards out but his flying header was off target.

Suddenly the hosts were back on the front foot although no one could have foreseen the late drama! 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account