Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Colchester vs. Crawley Town

18 September 2012

Match Reports

Colchester vs. Crawley Town

18 September 2012

Reds draw 1-1 with Colchester

A late Anthony Wordsworth penalty denied Reds all three points as they drew 1-1 with Colchester United at the Weston Homes Community Stadium.

Reds went ahead midway through the second half as Kyle McFadzean, on his 99th appearance, tapped into an empty net after Mat Sadler's corner was spilled by United 'keeper Mark Cousins.

The visitors were on top for the majority of the second half but Wordsworth scored from the spot to draw the hosts level in the 86th minute.

Substitute Billy Clarke went close late on but his shot came back off the post, the third time in the game the woodwork had denied Reds, and in the end Richie Barker's side had to settle for a point.

Barker made just one change from Saturday's excellent 2-1 win at Preston as Hope Akpan, suspended for the game at Deepdale, came in for Dannie Bulman in midfield.

Josh Simpson, who was also suspended on Saturday, was named on the bench. 

But the midfielder didn't have long to wait to be introduced as Shaun Cooper picked up an injury with just five minutes gone.

Fresh from two goals on Saturday it was skipper Gary Alexander who had the best chance in the opening exchanges. The striker though couldn't quite get enough conviction on McFadzean's cross.

The game was being played at a good tempo without too many clear cut chances; Sadler's 25-yard drive the closest either side came to breaking the deadlock.

Reds made the brighter start to the second half and almost went ahead in the 50th minute. Mike Jones played a neat one-two with Alexander but the midfielder's snapshot went just wide of the near post.

Colchester's first real effort on goal came on 55 minutes, as Ian Henderson fed Clinton Morrison, but the striker's cut-back-come-shot was held well by Paul Jones.

It was Reds who went closest next, again through Alexander. This time he met Nicky Ajose's cut back but his goal-bound effort was deflected behind for a corner.

Mike Jones was starting to get some joy down the right, and it was he who went close with a drilled effort from 25-yards that cannoned off the post and behind for a goal kick.

The woodwork denied Reds again with 20 minutes to go as Nicky Adams' curling effort was tipped onto the bar by Cousins and behind for a corner.

It wasn't long before Reds were ahead, as from the resulting corner McFadzean bundled home.

Sadler's corner was dropped by Cousins and the defender was on hand to divert the ball into the empty net.

The home fans were silenced and it was almost 2-0 moments later. Akpan fed Ajose but his shot from a tight angle was well saved by Cousins.

Reds were on top it seemed but with five minutes to go, the hosts had a penalty after Marcus Bean was brought down.

Wordsworth stepped up to take it and, despite a hand from Jones, the ball found the back of the net.

Reds went again and were within inches of regaining the lead but substitute Clarke saw his low drive come back off the post.

Both sides went in search of a winner with Alexander and Adams going close for Reds but neither side found a way through and in the end, had to settle for a point.

Reds: Jones; Hunt, Connolly, McFadzean, Sadler; M.Jones, Cooper (Simpson), Akpan, Adams; Ajose (Clarke), Alexander (c). Unused subs: Kuipers, Wassmer, Forte, Bulman, Walsh.

Colchester: Cousins; Wilson, Eastman, Okuonghae, Rose; Izzet (O'Toole), Bean; Massey, Henderson (Sears), Wordsworth; Morrison. Unused subs: Pentney, Heath, Duguid, Bond, White.

Att: 2484 (218 Reds)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account