Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

No break for the Beast

12 January 2015

Update from Brian Jensen after his injury against MK Dons

Brian Jensen is hoping to get the all-clear to resume training at the end of this week after he dislocated his thumb in Saturday’s 2-2 draw against MK Dons.

With no substitute goalkeeper on the bench, Matt Harrold had to go in goal after 38 minutes and did a heroic job, with ‘The Beast’ coaching him from behind the Bruce Winfield Stand end goal in the second half before MK equalised in stoppage time.

When he was clattered by Samir Carruthers, The Beast initially thought he’d suffered a facial injury.

He said: “When we collided he hit my face and I could feel a scratch on my left cheek. That was what I was worried about at first but when I looked down at my right glove I could see that the bone had pushed out at the base of my thumb where it joins the hand.

“The team doctor Jerry Hill tried to put the thumb back in three times on the pitch which was why I was kicking my legs on the ground – it was quite painful!”

Brian came off and his thumb was eventually put back in place in the medical room, but by then Harrold had come on.

“I could hear some shouts from the crowd and I knew Matt was quite nervous so it was good to get through to half-time,” added Brian.

“It was my idea at half-time to go in with the fans and try and give Matty some instructions. The fans were so loud behind the goal but Matt could hear me – it was mainly stuff about making sure he got the defence pushed up when he could so we weren’t camped in our box all the time.


“It was always going to be difficult after they got one goal back but I thought he dealt with the pressure really well. He took a couple of crosses and held some shots and you could see he was growing in confidence. So the lads were devastated when they scored so late in stoppage time, but I guess when I went off we’d have taken a point against a good side.

“But the lads are determined to use Saturday to kick-start the season again. We showed against MK, even with the injuries we’ve got and the disruption caused by my injury, that we can compete against any side in this division.”

Brian spent four hours in the Queen Victoria Hospital in East Grinstead on Saturday getting his hand treated by a specialist and will have a further scan at the end of this week.

“Hopefully on Thursday and Friday I can do some work with the keeper the Gaffer is going to bring in and I will be at Rochdale on Saturday whatever happens – I might even stand with the fans again!”

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account