Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Efficient Reds see off Langney

29 November 2016

Club News

Efficient Reds see off Langney

29 November 2016

Henderson brace and Boldewijn strike seals cup progress

Crawley Town defeated Langney Wanderers 3-1 on Tuesday evening in the Second Round of the Sussex Senior Cup at The Oval – home of Eastbourne United.


Dermot Drummy named a strong side for the game against the Southern Combination Division One outfit.


Mitchell Beeney started in goal for the first time since his impressive display against Charlton Athletic at The Valley at the start of October.


Ahead of him, Aryan Tajbkahsh, Alex Davey, Addison Garnett and Chris Arthur formed the back four, with Kaby Djalo and Conor Henderson deployed in defensive midfield in front of them – it was the latter’s first start since returning to the club in October.


Enzio Boldewijn, Jason Banton and Bobson Bawling were the three in behind lone striker Sanchez Watt - also making his first start of his second spell with the Reds.


It didn’t take for the Reds long to take the lead on a cold night on the south coast.


Henderson stepped up on the right-hand side five minutes into the contest to curl a free-kick into the bottom corner and past the Langney goalkeeper to put Drummy’s men 1-0 ahead.


Three minutes later the lead was doubled - Boldewijn cut in from the right, an area where the Reds had looked dangerous early on, and his left-footed shot found its way into the net off the post to double the advantage.


Langney registered their first shot on target of the game 16 minutes in when their number 10 shimmied away from Garnett well and forced Beeney into a smart stop away to his left-hand side.


As the game approached the half hour mark the Reds trebled their advantage as Henderson got his second of the game.


Intricate play on the edge of the area ended in the midfielder driving into the area and coolly chipping into the net to double his tally for the evening.


Banton then saw his powerful effort blocked, as did Boldewijn soon after but the break arrived with the Reds three goals ahead.


The Reds made one change at the break as Beeney made way for Yusuf Mersin in-between the sticks.


The first chance of the second half fell to Boldewijn as he continued to cause Langney problems down the right-hand side. He raced past two challenges but saw his effort well saved by the opposing keeper.

Minutes later, Watt found space in the area but saw his powerful effort bounce back off the bar as the Reds continued to dominate proceedings.


But it was Langney who got the next goal of the contest as the game drew towards the hour mark. Addison Garnett was penalised for a foul and the opposition striker stepped up confidently to stroke the ball home and get his side on the scoresheet.


Boldewijn then made way for Adi Yussuf soon after as Drummy made his second change of the evening.


Bawling got to the byline and nearly found the substitute in the centre after he entered the action but Langney scrambled it away as they continued to put up resilient opposition.


Watt then saw an effort deflect off the bar as the game began to peter out after Langney’s strike.


That was to be the last of the action for the evening as the referee brought the competitive second period to a close.


The victory means the Reds will now face Horsham YMCA away from home in the next round of the competition – we will confirm all the details for that tie when we have them.


Reds: Beeney (Mersin 45); Tajbakhsh, Davey, Garnett, Arthur; Djalo, Henderson; Boldewijn (Yussuf 62), Banton, Bawling; Watt.


Subs not used: Pappoe, Yorwerth.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account