Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REVIEW | April and May

A look back at the final two months of the 2016-17 campaign

28 June 2017

The Reds began April with a 1-0 defeat away to Newport County in south Wales – Mickey Demetriou’s first half effort separated the two sides on a tough surface at Rodney Parade.

The second period saw both Joss Labadie and Josh Yorwerth dismissed as both sides finished the game with ten men.

The following Saturday the side hosted Plymouth Argyle and the game ended in a late 2-1 defeat. Dean Cox’s first goal for the club had put the Reds ahead during the first half when he connected with Lewis Young’s cross.

Graham Carey’s second half penalty levelled the scores before James Collins was dismissed for a second yellow card ten minutes from the end.

Ryan Taylor’s late goal stole all three points for the high-flying Pilgrims.

Good Friday saw the Reds host Cheltenham Town with the game ending in a 0-0 draw – the visitors came closest to breaking the deadlock during the second half but the points were shared.

The side travelled to Lancashire on Easter Monday to face Accrington Stanley at the Wham Stadium but the game ended in a 1-0 defeat. Shay McCartan scored three minutes into the second half and that was the difference between the two sides.

Arguably one of the most dramatic games of the season came in the side’s penultimate home game of the season – a 3-3 draw with Carlisle United.

Collins’ spectacular long-range effort opened the scoring before the forward added a second from the penalty spot soon after.

Jabo Ibhere halved the hosts’ lead soon after before former Red Jamie Proctor scored, meaning the sides went in level at the break.

Reggie Lambe then put the Cumbrians ahead after the restart before Jimmy Smith’s late stoppage time volley sparked scenes of celebration as he secured a point that meant the Reds would be playing league football again for another season.

Cambridge United were the side’s final away opponents of the campaign and goals from Scott Wharton and Luke Berry gave the hosts a 2-0 win. 

The final game of the campaign saw Matt Harrold take charge of the side for a 2-2 draw with Mansfield Town.

Danny Rose and Ben Whiteman put the visiting side into a 2-0 lead before Cox’s volley meant the deficit was halved before the break.

Jordan Roberts’ second half stunner from long range meant the game ended level on a memorable afternoon. 

Advertisement block