Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REVIEW | November

A look back at the fourth month of the 2016/17 campaign

30 May 2017

Eight goals, an Emirates FA Cup replay and a goal of the season contender.

The start of the fourth month of the campaign saw the Reds draw 1-1 at home to Bristol Rovers in the First Round of the Emirates FA Cup.

Lee Brown’s free-kick put the League One side ahead, before Billy Clifford’s first goal for the club put the Reds back on level terms and meant the teams would have to contest a replay later in the month.

Midweek saw the side travel to St Mary’s to face Southampton U23’s in the final group game of the Checkatrade Trophy. With the side having already qualified for the knockout stages of the competition, the hosts ran out convincing 4-0 winners.

The first home game of the month saw the Reds welcome Cambridge United to the Checkatrade Stadium, but the contest ended in defeat.

James Collins’ first half goal came from a well-worked move, but goals from Greg Taylor and Uche Ikpeazu meant the U’s led at the break. Luke Berry’s second half free-kick sealed the game for the visiting side.

Three days later the side contested the cup replay against Bristol Rovers at the Memorial Stadium, a game which ended in a 4-2 defeat after extra-time.

Matty Taylor gave the hosts the lead before Jordan Roberts’ stylish finish from a well-worked corner meant the teams went in level at the break.

Dean Gaffney put the Gas back in front after the break before substitute Matt Harrold drew the Reds back level as he scored against his old club. But extra time took it’s toll on the Reds as further goals from Taylor and Gaffney meant the hosts advanced to the next round.

Steve Evans’ Mansfield Town were the next opponents for the Reds – the game was the former boss’s first game in charge of the Stags. The game ended in a 3-1 defeat after the hosts scored three goals in quick succession in the second half with a late consolation goal from Bobson Bawling.

The final game of the month saw the Reds pick up a 3-2 victory over Grimsby Town.

Collins’ first half effort meant the Reds took the lead, before Omar Bogle’s header just before the break levelled the scores. Roberts put the Reds back in front with a stylish finish ten minutes after the restart, before grabbing a second direct from a corner in memorable fashion.

Bogle notched an impressive late long-range effort to half the deficit with his second of the game, but it was the hosts who held on for an important victory. 

Fans can watch the goals from November on Crawley Town TV below.

Advertisement block