Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Crawley Town 1 Crewe 2

Ten for the season for the skipper but Reds lose final home game of the campaign

28 April 2018

Crawley were left frustrated in their final home game of the season as they were succumbed to a 2-1 defeat by Crewe Alexandra at the Checkatrade Stadium. 
Jimmy Smith's tenth goal of the season drew Reds level after Perry Ng had given the visitors a fourth-minute lead but an well-taken goal by Harry Pickering in the 52nd minute meant a muted end to the home campaign for Reds. 
It was the visitors who had the first chance of the game when Callum Ainley evaded the challenge of Aryan Tajbakash before forcing a good save from Glenn Morris.
Crewe's bright start was rewarded when Jamie Sterry's shot was turned in by defender  Ng with just five minutes on the clock.
The Reds responded positively though, and were level just four minutes later when a great cross from Lewis Young was flicked on by Thomas Verheydt and captain Smith headed home at the back post. 
The visitors went close to regaining the lead in the 21st minute when Sterry's inviting delivery was met by Jordan Bowery but his header sailed just over the crossbar. 
Crewe did take the lead again seven minutes after the interval when Pickering collected the ball inside the box and found the top left-hand corner after being found by Bowery's pass.
Morris was called into action again shortly after, with a smart save to deny Ainley.
The pace and power of Karlan Ahearne-Grant was causing Crewe real problems, and the home crowd were adamant they should have had a penalty when Enzio Boldeiwjn was challenged by George Ray but the appeals were waved away by referee Tom Nield.
The Reds then went close to equalising after great work from Young down the right, but his cross slightly too heavy for substitute Jordan Roberts.  
Harry Kewell's side were pushing really hard for a leveller and Smith was inches from scoring his and Crawley's second when he headed against the crossbar and Roberts couldn't turn the rebound home.
Ahearne-Grant was next to go close when he cut inside the Alexandra defence but he fired his shot just wide of Ben Garratt's goal. 
Crewe nearly made it 3-1 in stoppage time when Paul Green slipped in substitute Chris Porter, who was denied brilliantly by Morris.
The Reds huffed and puffed but were unable to find a goal as Crewe hung on for three points. The result means Crawley sit 14th ahead of next weekend's trip to Mansfield Town, their final game of the season. 
Reds: Morris, Young, Doherty, Payne, Connolly, Boldeiwjn, Smith, Ahearne-Grant, Yorwerth, Tajbakash (Roberts 63), Verheydt (Camara 63). Unused subs: Mersin, McNerney, Sanoh, Bulman, Evina.
Attendance: 2089 (154 Crewe)
Man of the match: Mark Connolly

Advertisement block