Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


20 December 2018

Club News


20 December 2018

Reds haven't fared to well over the years against Saturday's opponents Carlisle which they will be keen to improve when John Sheridan's side come to The People's Pension Stadium.

Our record against Carlisle since we first met in the Football League is one win, four draws and five defeats. That victory came in our first ever league trip to Brunton Park in September 2012, when almost 200 Reds fan made the mammoth journey to Cumbria.

After a goalless first half, Nathan Byrne and Nicky Adams scored in the space of ten minutes to seal a memorable 2-0 win and send the travelling army home happy.

We then went on to draw three successive games with the Cumbrians – two 1-1 draws followed by a goalless stalemate at the Broadfield Stadium in April 2014. Carlisle then won three on the trot between November 2015 and October 2016.

Firstly, Charlie Wyke’s double and Jabo Ibehre’s goal left us down 3-1, despite Rhys Murphy’s second half finish while in the return fixture in West Sussex, Wyke was on target again late on to snatch a 1-0 victory.

The hosts were then 3-0 up inside the first half in Cumbria with Mark Connolly scoring in second-half stoppage time, meaning the game ended 3-1 again in November 2016.

April 2017 saw us involved in a thrilling 3-3 draw with United here at home. James Collins’ brace in the first 30 minutes – one of them a penalty – saw us race into a 2-0 lead before the visitors pegged us back to 2-2 through Jabo Ibehre and former Red Jamie Proctor.

Ibehre’s second turned the game on its head in the 59th minute, before Jimmy Smith’s stoppage-time equaliser spared Crawley’s blushes and earned us the point which sealed our League Two status for another season.

There was another high-octane encounter in the first part of last season, which saw three red cards. After a stalemate in the first half, Hallam Hope put Carlisle ahead just five minutes into the second period. Richie Bennett was sent off with 15 minutes to go and then, after a clash in stoppage time, Josh Yorwerth and Tom Parkes were both dismissed but Carlisle held on to claim a 1-0 victory.

The Reds came from two goals down to snatch a point in our last trip to Brunton Park in March. Hope and Bennett were involved again as they both scored a goal each either side of half time to put Carlisle 2-0 in front. Karlan Ahearne-Grant was the man to save the day for Town as his brace secured a valuable point and an impressive comeback on a snowy afternoon at Brunton Park.

Our only home win over Carlisle came in 2005 when we beat them 1-0 in the Conference.

Pictured: Touchline celebrations after Jimmy Smith's late goal earned Reds a 3-3 draw against Carlisle in 2017

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account