Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

DISABLED SUPPORTERS ASSOCIATION MEETING MINUTES

19 June 2018

Disabled Supporters Association Meeting

Held in Redz Bar on June 11 at 7pm.

Attendees 

Barb Robinson, Chris Covey, Bill Doidge, Carl & Jan Gillespie, Chris Cheshire, Sue & Terry Scoble, Susan & Michael Wheeler. David Beard, Alan Cox, Kevin Harrison, Dennis Hills, Charlie Paddington, Anna Redman, Bernice Stephen, Eric Strange, Audrey Turnbull.

Invited Guest: Darren Ford, Crawley Community Development Manager

Apologies

Tim Turner, Gordon Skeggs, John Bushell, Peter Gill & Teagan Gill.

Barb opened the meeting and gave the apologies she’d received. She introduced our gues, Darren from the Crawley Town Community Foundation, who would address the meeting later.

She started by apologising on behalf of the club that no training ground visit could be arranged last season due to the team using a number of different training grounds, but assured the group that dates for this season will be made firm by Kelly Derham shortly.

The meeting was passed over to our treasurer Terry who spoke on the new data protection laws which have recently come into force.

As most of us are aware, we need permission to hold personal data of members on file.

We need a signature agreeing that names, phone numbers and emails can be held on file.

All people at the meeting agreed for this information to be stored.

If you do not agree your details will be removed from the data base.

Barb invited Darren to make the draw for Josh Yorwerth’s sponsored home and away shirts. David Beard won the away shirt and Sue Scoble the home shirt.

Barb advised the club will send out emails asking if last year's sponsors wish to sponsor the same player for the newseason. Once feedback has been received the club will be in a better position to say who is still available for us to sponsor.

Darren was invited to speak about the work of the Crawley Town Community Foundation.

He joined the Foundation in March 2018 as our Community Development Manager, replacing Amy. He previously worked with Brighton & Hove Albion to set up and implement their successful Study Support Centre project, which was also rolled out to other clubswithin Sussex. He then set-up and managed Lewes FC’s Community & Education Scheme.

He has acquired his Post-16 Certificate in Education at Portsmouth University and has a degree in Sports Development from Chichester University.

The Community Foundation works with all ages and abilities with no exceptions.

They go into schools to assist in developing local school sport and education through a range of programmes and services like PE & Sport, Breakfast, Lunch and After School clubs, and PSHE/Education workshops - including Emotional Wellbeing, Health, Numeracy, Literacy and Enterprise

They organise term time and after school soccer programmes and run walking football sessions for the over 50’s every Friday at mid-day for one hour.

They work with people who have a mental illness on the ‘Move the Goal Posts’ scheme which focuses on health & wellbeing and includes a kick-a-bout on the Ball Court.

Full details on the aims and successes can be found on their web site which can be reached from the link below.

http://www.ctcommunityfoundation.com/

Barb thanked Darren for his informative comprehensive insight into the work of the Foundaton and if anybody wants to get involved please contact him by email or phone their office.

Any Other Business

Chris said she felt the new year’s dinner at the Black Swan has been a great success and all agreed we should book again for January 2019

Michael suggested we could possibly sponsor a home game or match ball for next season. This could be quite costly although we could forego the meal in the suite and seats in the executive area. Barb will discuss this with Joe and see what deal he can come up with.

Anna asked if the training ground visit could be arranged in the evening or weekends but this is not possible because all training is arranged for week day mornings and matches take place at weekends.

Terry passed round a copy of the treasurer’s statement of accounts which will be fully audited by the next AGM.

A firm date for the DSA AGM in September will be sent round once the date has been agreed.

A big thank you to Carl whose role in getting food and drink at home games has been greatly appreciated by all who have who have used his service.

David mentioned the club only recognize people receiving PIP and DLA benefits are eligible for a free carer’s ticket. People over 65 who become disabled are not entitled to these allowances. He asked if the club might also consider those who are in receipt of attendance allowance as eligible.

Chris stated that DLA & PIP recipients was the norm at all clubs but that we could look into it and report back at the next meeting.

Barb thanked all for coming and Rhona for giving up her time to open the bar.

The meeting closed at 8pm

The date of the AGM has been fixed for Monday 17th September at 7pm in Redz Bar.

Please come along to support your DSA and encourage any friends who may be interested to join us to come too!


Advertisement block