Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


6 October 2018

Ahead of kick off, check out our head to head record against today's opponents Cambridge.

Our Football League record against Cambridge has dipped after originally winning our first two against the U’s in the 2015/16 season. Back in the non-league days, games between the two sides were often close affairs, but in the twenty meetings in our history there have been just four draws.

Our first meeting as a Football League club came in the Checkatrade Trophy at the Broadfield Stadium, when an own goal from Ryan Tait and Charles Banya strike sealed a 2-0 win to send us through to the next round.

The first league meeting was a match that Crawley fans will have etched in their memory. Under Mark Yates, and looking for our first win of the 2015/16 season, the Reds travelled to the Abbey Stadium with a healthy travelling support. A goal either side of half time from Roarie Deacon had the Reds in control over their opponents and despite a red card for full back Liam Donnelly, Gwion Edwards added a third to seal a memorable win.

The return fixture the following January saw Matt Harrold score the only goal as the Reds sealed the double with a 1-0 win.

That was our last win against the U’s, with Joe Dunne’s side having won the last four games against the Reds. The first of those four came in November 2016, as Cambridge picked up a 3-1 win at the Broadfield. James Collins had given us the lead inside the opening ten minutes but before the half hour, United scored twice from Uche Ikpeazu and Greg Taylor. In the second half, Luke Berry added a third.

Berry was on the scoresheet again in the corresponding fixture alongside Scott Wharton as the hosts sealed a 2-0 win. Josh Payne was sent off in the final minute to compound Town’s misery.

Last season it was another double for the U’s as they nicked a 1-0 win at the Broadfield thanks to Jabo Ibehre’s second half strike. Inside 25 minutes at the Abbey Stadium, Cambridge were 2-0 up with goals from George Maris and Ibehre. Josh Payne pulled a goal back from the penalty just minutes after the second half break but Jevani Brown restored the home side’s two goal advantage minutes later to seal a 3-1 win for the hosts.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account