Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


1 August 2019

Club News


1 August 2019

Reds haven't fared to well over the years against Saturday's openind day opponents Carlisle and will be keen to improve their record when we head to Brunton Park for our first away game of the season.

Our record against Carlisle since we first met in the Football League is one win, four draws and seven defeats. That victory came in our first ever league trip to Brunton Park in September 2012, when almost 200 Reds fans made the mammoth journey to Cumbria.

After a goalless first half, Nathan Byrne and Nicky Adams scored in the space of ten minutes to seal a memorable 2-0 win and send the travelling army home happy.

We then went on to draw three successive games with the Cumbrians – two 1-1 draws followed by a goalless stalemate at the Broadfield Stadium in April 2014. Carlisle then won three on the trot between November 2015 and October 2016.

Firstly, Charlie Wyke’s double and Jabo Ibehre’s goal left us down 3-1 with Rhys Murphy’s second half finish a consolation while in the return fixture in West Sussex Wyke was on target again late on to snatch a 1-0 victory.

The hosts went 3-0 up inside the first half in Cumbria in November 2016 with Mark Connolly scoring our consolation in a 3-1 defeat in second-half stoppage time.

Two years ago saw us involved in a thrilling 3-3 draw with United here at home. James Collins’ brace in the first 30 minutes – one of them a penalty – saw us race into a 2-0 lead before the visitors pegged us back to 2-2 through Jabo Ibehre and former Red Jamie Proctor.

Ibehre’s second turned the game on its head in the 59th minute, but Jimmy Smith’s stoppage-time equaliser spared Crawley’s blushes and earned us the point which sealed our League Two status for another season.

There was another high-octane encounter in the first part of the 2017-18 season, which saw three red cards. After a goalless first half Hallam Hope put Carlisle ahead just five minutes into the second period. Richie Bennett was sent off with 15 minutes to go and then, after a clash in stoppage time, Josh Yorwerth and Tom Parkes were both dismissed but Carlisle held on to claim a 1-0 victory.

The Reds came from two goals down to snatch a point in our next trip to Brunton Park in March 2018. Hope and Bennett were involved again as they both scored a goal each either side of half time to put Carlisle 2-0 in front. Karlan Ahearne-Grant was the man to save the day for Town as his brace secured a valuable point and an impressive comeback on a snowy afternoon.

Last December, Dominic Poleon scored twice at The People's Pension Stadium but Carlisle ran out 3-2 winners.

We then travelled north in April for our final away game of last season and against a side still chasing the play-offs found ourselves 4-0 after 35 minutes. Ashley Nathaniel-George pulled one back before the break and an own goal made it 4-2. Infact Reds squandered some gilt-edged chances in the second half to earn a point. 

Pictured: Dominic Poleon celebrates one of his two goals in the 3-2 defeat against Carlisle United earlier this season 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account