Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


2 February 2019

Club News


2 February 2019

Ollie Palmer scored his 13th goal of the season with three minutes left as Reds came from behind to claim an excellent point against third-placed Bury at chilly Gigg Lane.

The Shakers have been formidable in front of their own fans and have the best home record in League 2, and they were on course to claim their fifth win in seven games when Nicky Maynard volleyed in after 83 minutes.

But Reds showed their spirit and struck back when substitute Ashley Nathaniel-George spotted Palmer’s run into the area and he squeezed a low shot through Joe Murphy’s legs from a tight angle on the left-hand side of the six-yard box.

After a great 1-0 win at Swindon last week, it continued Reds’ upward momentum ahead of a return to the People’s Pension Stadium against Oldham next Saturday.

Josh Payne returned after suspension in the only change to the side that won at Swindon. New signing Matty Willock was among the substitutes.

The surrounds at Gigg Lane were banked with snow and it was evident early on that conditions were tricky on the far side. Assistant Helen Byrne slipped on the icy touchline and eventually had to be replaced by the fourth official because of a knee injury.

The going in the middle was much more yielding and free-scoring Bury’s main threat early on was ex-Red Nicky Adams. He forced Glenn Morris to save an 18th-minute shot at the second attempt before producing a lovely delivery from the right which only just eluded Dominic Telford.

But Reds gave as good as they got in a lively first half and had some decent chances too. Panutche Camara found last week’s hero Filipe Morais for a shot from the edge of the box which was blocked then David Sesay got well forward on the left but lifted an effort from outside the box well over.

Palmer tested Murphy from the edge of the box before Morris made another solid save at the end of what was an even half possession-wise, to frustrate Maynard.

Bury upped the tempo in the second half with Reds only offering an occasional attacking threat, but those in front of Morris gave the keeper solid protection as the hosts pressed. He kept out a long-range effort from Jay O’Shea but was relieved to see Callum McFadzean balloon his effort up and over from a promising position.

Reds had a chance on 72 minutes when Sesay was fouled on the left-hand corner of the box but Morais hit his free-kick into the wall and for the next 15 minutes Bury got up a real head of steam.

Maynard was denied when Lewis Young deflected his effort wide and then saw an 81st-minute effort parried by Morris to McFadzean but once again he failed to get his effort on target.

But the hosts were pressing and they made the breakthrough with seven minutes to go. Adams’ corner from the right was headed back across goal by Jordan Rossiter and Maynard found enough space at the far post to fire past an exposed Morris.

It looked like being another long, cold and pointless trip home – but Palmer had other ideas.

Reds: Morris; Sesay, McNerney, Francomb, Dallison, Young, Morais (Nathaniel-George 85), Camara, Payne (Bulman 67), Gambin (Poleon 84), Palmer.

Subs: Mersin, Willock, Maguire.

Attendance: 3625 (96 Crawley fans)

Pictured: Ollie Palmer scores Reds' equaliser. Photo by Steve Lawrence

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account