Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


Reds claim emphatic 4-0 victory over Tranmere Rovers

27 October 2020

The Reds hit Tranmere for four with another brilliant home display. Max Watters opened the scoring with his fourth goal in as many games, and Tom Nichols added a second with a precise strike. Jordan Tunnicliffe’s towering header put the Reds three up before the break and Tyler Frost’s low drive in the second-half finished off the Rovers.

John Yems made no changes to the Crawley side which earned a point at Salford, as Tyler Frost and Brian Galach returned to the bench.

Crawley enjoyed the first chances of the game as Jack Powell picked up the ball outside the box, with his curling effort being beaten away by Scott Davies, before Max Watters blazed one over the bar moments later.

The Reds’ dominance would eventually pay off when Powell showed some great skill in midfield before playing in Max Watters with a brilliant through-ball, who then checked inside and fired into the bottom corner to give Crawley a well-deserved lead on 13 minutes.

Crawley continued to control the game, and doubled their lead when Jake Hesketh picked up the ball and fed Tom Nichols, who skipped into the box and beat Davies with a low finish in the 21st minute.

Straight after the Reds got a third when a corner fell to George Francomb, who lifted a delightful cross towards the back-post, which Jordan Tunnicliffe headed into the roof of the net to make it 3-0 in the 24th minute, as the Rovers were left stunned by a first-half flurry from Crawley.

Crawley’s pressure continued into the second-half, when a neat backheel by Nichols found Sam Matthews, who tried the find the bottom corner with a smart effort which was pushed away by Davies.

Kieran Morris fired over from outside the box as Tranmere looked for a route back into the game.

But Crawley finished Tranmere off soon after when, following some great footwork, Hesketh was thwarted, with his effort falling to Reds substitute Tyler Frost who drilled a first-time strike into the bottom corner in the 77th minute, as Crawley’s ruthless finishing continued.

Tarryn Allarakhia fired over on the counter-attack, in the last action of another five-star home display from the reds.

Crawley Town: Morris, Francomb, Tunnicliffe, Craig, Doherty, Hessenthaler, Matthews (Frost 72’), Powell, Hesketh, Watters (Ashford 76’), Nichols (Allarakhia 86’)

Tranmere Rovers: Davies, Ridehalgh (O’Connor 26’), Clarke, Ellis (Nelson 34’), MacDonald, Young, Spearing (Blackett-Taylor 63’), Feeney, Morris, Vaughan, Smith

Advertisement block