Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


Reds recover a two-goal deficit to earn an impressive draw in the Scottish capital.

16 July 2022

The Reds recovered from a two-goal deficit to claim an impressive 2-2 draw against Hearts this afternoon. Kevin Betsy’s side were 2-0 down at half-time, but two quickfire goals from Dom Telford levelled things up for the Red Devils.

The Jam Tarts started well at Tynecastle and were rewarded with a flurry of corners in the opening five minutes. The Reds dealt with the danger well and began to get the ball down and play some neat passages. 

The home side continued to press and took the lead in the eighth minute through Stephen Kingsley. The build-up play was very tidy, and after a neat spell of possession, Kingsley fired his side into the lead. The midfielder picked the ball up and wasted no time in slamming home from 25-yards.

It wasn’t long before Hearts added a second goal as Kingsley fired a bullet header into the back of the net from a corner. The midfielder found his way through a swarm of Crawley defenders and planted his header past Corey Addai to double his side's lead.

Addai then saved Crawley on two separate occasions with two very strong saves to deny Hearts a third. The Reds were still playing some decent football, but the home side looked potent on the counter-attack.

The Reds had a much brighter start to the second half and almost pulled a goal back in the opening two minutes. A trialist struck the underside of the bar from about two yards out after Jack Payne floated in a delightful ball from the left.

Just moments later, the Reds did have a goal back. The same trialist who struck the bar moments earlier took another floated pass down inside the box and squared the ball kindly to Dom Telford, who gratefully tapped the ball home to score his first Crawley goal.

The much awakened Crawley side wasted no time in notching an equaliser, and it was that man Telford once again. The Reds stole the ball in the midfield, which allowed Tom Nichols to play through the Crawley frontman. The striker took a couple of touches and brought the ball back inside to his favoured left foot, and bent a beautiful effort into the top corner.

The game began to settle down after Crawley’s rapid comeback. Both sides made changes, with Kevin Betsy introducing a large number of trialists. 

Hearts themselves had made strong changes with several regular first-team players entering the field play. As a result, the home side began to take a slight grip on the half and began to trouble the Reds' defence. Glenn Morris, who was introduced for the second half, was forced to make a great save to deny Jorge Grant after the midfielder produced a very skilful turn to get away from his marker.

The Reds saw out the remainder of the game to claim an impressive draw in the Scottish capital. Crawley are back in action on Tuesday night as they take on Charlton U23’s at East Grinstead Town.

Starting XI: Addai, Trialist, Johnson, Conroy, Omole, Craig, Payne, Balagizi, Nichols, Appiah, Telford


Attendance: 3110 (31 away)

Advertisement block