Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


Reds pick up third successive victory with win against Mansfield Town.

22 October 2022

Crawley came out victorious in a thrilling match at the Broadfield Stadium this afternoon. Ashley Nadesan and Tom Nichols gave Crawley an early two-goal lead, which was cancelled out by goals from Jordan Bowery and George Lapslie. Nadesan scored his second goal within the first two minutes of the second half, which still left Crawley a lot to do to claim victory. Victory was well deserved in the end as Crawley survived a few late scares to claim a third victory in the space of three games.

It was an excellent start from Crawley, who had a penalty shout waved away in the first minute after James Tilley was pushed inside the area. This was soon forgotten as Ashley Nadesan put the Reds ahead just a minute later. Tom Nichols picked the ball up on the edge of the Manfield penalty area and found his strike partner with a perfectly weighted pass. Nadesan looked up and guided the ball into the far corner with his weaker left foot.

Crawley’s dream start continued as Tom Nichols headed in Crawley’s second goal in the 12th minute. It was the skipper who won the free-kick, and after a brilliant delivery from Jack Powell, Nichols powered his header past Christy Pym.

Crawley’s two-goal lead was halved just a couple of minutes later. A long throw-in was hurled into the Crawley box and clearly struck an arm before being cleared to safety. Referee Sunny Gill immediately pointed to the spot as he decided that hand belonged to a Crawley man. Jordan Bowery slotted the penalty home past David Robson.

It soon became 2-2 as George Lapslie headed home at the far post. Elliot Watt drove down the wing and delivered an inch-perfect cross to the far post, which Lapslie headed in with a low effort, which just got the beating of Robson.

Mansfield were now holding the majority share of possession and looked the more likely side to score before the half-time break. Will Swan had a couple of decent chances but dragged an effort wide on two occasions.

Just as they did in the first half, Crawley started with electric pace, and Ashley Nadesan put Crawley back ahead in the 47th minute. The striker brilliantly shrugged off his marker and took off towards the goal. Nadesan wasted no time in slotting the ball under Pym in front of an ecstatic terrace.

Tom Nichols almost found the top corner with a terrific strike from outside the box moments later but was denied by a fantastic save from Pym. Nichols beat his man for strength and fired a powerful strike towards goal, which took a glorious one-arm stop from Pym to stay out.

The game hit a lull after Crawley had retaken the lead, and after a dominant spell of possession, Crawley began to neutralise Mansifield’s threat.

Crawley were excellent in defence, attack and midfield this afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed the deserved three points when the referee finally blew the full-time whistle. The eight minutes of added time were spent clearing every single ball that came the way of Crawley’s backline. Lewis Young now has three wins from three as Crawley’s interim manager.

REDS XI: Robson, Johnson (Jenks 57’), Conroy, Francillette (Francomb 45’), Tsaroulla, Tilley, Powell, Hessenthaler, Fellows (Davis 71’), Nichols, Nadesan (83’)

Attendance: 2802 (458 away)

Advertisement block