Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


Reds defeated at Blundell Park.

8 October 2022

Crawley lost out to Grimbsy Town this afternoon at Blundell Park. Anthony Glennon gave the home side the lead early on with a neat free-kick. Second-half goals from Gavan Holohan and Ryan Taylor ensured Crawley made the long journey back to Sussex empty-handed.

Kevin Betsy made three changes from the side that started against Stevenage last week. Hassy Ransom was forced out with an injury that he sustained in the first half of last weekend’s fixture. He was replaced by Dion Conroy, who was returning from a long-term injury. James Tilley and Jake Hessenthaler made way for Dom Telford and Caleb Chukwuemeka.

Within the first five minutes of the match, Grimbsy had created a brilliant chance to take the lead. Joel Lynch was penalised for a foul on the edge of the area and was booked in the process. Anthony Glennon stepped up and curled a brilliant effort over the Crawley wall into the back of the net.

Crawley were by far the better team after falling behind, and with Nadesan on the wing, were creating some dangerous chances as they searched for an equaliser. A flurry of corners were cleared by Grimsby before Tony Craig headed narrowly over the bar.

For a few minutes, Crawley thought they were level. After a scuffle inside the Grimsby box, Dom Telford appeared to have turned the ball into the back of the net. The goal was given and the striker wheeled away in celebration. After a good 30 seconds, the referee decided to confer with his assistant. After a few minutes, the goal was eventually ruled out for offside.

Kevin Betsy and Lewis Young were in deep discussion with the officials as the two sides entered the half-time break. Their side had it all to do during the second half at Blundell Park.

Just as they did in the first half, Grimsby scored very early into proceedings and created a two-goal advantage. Out of pretty much nowhere, Gavan Holohan received the ball at his feet and skipped past the Crawley backline. The midfielder proceeded towards goal and thumped the ball past Corey Addai to double Grimbsy’s lead.

Max Crocombe produced a wonderful save to deny Tom Nichols a wonderful goal, which would have given Crawley a lifeline in the tie. Telford set the ball back to Nichols, who swept a wonderful effort towards the goal with real venom. Crocombe reacted brilliantly to tip the Crawley captain's effort over the bar.

The Reds were now beginning to get really frustrated, and as the clock ticked over to 70 minutes, the visiting side looked to be fading out of the fixture.

Betsy introduced Ben Wells and Ludwig Francillette as a last roll of the dice. Tony Craig and Jack Powell were the players making way.

Two soon became three as Ryan Taylor rolled the ball into the back of the net. It was a calamity of a goal, as numerous players from both teams were falling over at the edge of the box. Taylor stormed through to collect the ball and rolled it past Addai to seal the deal for his side.

Starting Reds XI: Addai, Conroy, Lynch, Craig, Tsaroulla, Fellows, Nichols, Powell, Nadesan, Chukwuemeka, Telford

Advertisement block