Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


Resilient Reds pick up a point at Salford.

3 September 2022

Crawley claimed an impressive point at high-flying Salford this afternoon as Kevin Betsy’s men had to come from behind on two separate occasions. Callum Hendry gave the home side the lead in the second minute before Crawley skipper Tom Nichols levelled before the break. Ryan Watson restored Salford’s lead early in the second half, but Ludwig Francillette levelled the score in the 66th minute.

Salford started as the better of the two teams, and it took only two minutes for the home side to take the lead. A ball was drilled into the Crawley box from the left flank, which striker Callum Hendry grateful tapped in beyond Addai.

Brandom Mason was booked a few moments later for a rash challenge on Lorent Tolaj. Kevin Betsy’s side had started to progress up the field but hadn’t troubled Tom King in the Salford goal as of yet.

James Tilley then stung the palms of the Salford goalkeeper from distance with a powerful free-kick. Tilley, who was playing in a more central role this afternoon, lined the ball up from around 30-yards and hit a thunderous strike at goal. King was equal to the effort and palmed the ball to safety.

Crawley’s continued to press the Salford defence and grabbed a deserved equaliser in the 29th minute. Tom Nichols picked up a bouncing ball on the edge of the Salford area and fired a tremendous volley into the top left corner. Tom King in the Salford goal didn’t look prepared for the effort as Nichols hit the sweet strike with his weaker foot.

Salford still looked bright themselves and forced a decent stop from Addai on the stroke of half-time. Conor McAleny received the ball inside the Crawley box and poked an effort towards goal. Corey used his long reach to get a hand to the ball and secure it at the second time of asking.

Addai was forced into another smart save on the other side of half-time as Odin Bailey raced through on goal. The second-half substitute got the better of Ogungbo and looked set to score, but Addai got down well and beat the effort away.

Salford re-took the lead minutes later through Ryan Watson. A short corner was taken quickly by the home side, and the ball was drilled into the Crawley box, where the Reds defence were out of position, which allowed Watson to smash home.

Just as they did in the first half, Crawley fought back and grabbed their second equaliser of the afternoon. A Reds corner wasn’t dealt with by the Ammies’ defence at the back post, where Ludwig Francillette was waiting to pounce on the loose ball, and the defender poked the ball home to level the score.

Addai was on fine form again this afternoon and denied Salford a winning goal with another smart stop. Hendry thrashed an effort at goal, which Addai again palmed away to keep the score level.

The Reds defended well for the remaining minutes and saw out the game to claim another point on the road.

REDS XI: Addai, Fellows, Johnson (Francillette 45’), Ransom, Ogungbo, Mason (Bremang 62’), Hessenthaler, Balagizi (Powell 90’), Tilley, Nichols, Telford (Chuckwuemeka 72’)

Attendance: 2099 (151 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account