Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


Reds defeated on the road.

4 February 2023

The Red Devils lost out to Gillingham at the Priestfield Stadium this afternoon. It was a positive first half for Crawley, but when Alex MacDonald put the Gills 1-0 up in the 47th minute, Crawley failed to create opportunities and succumbed to a 1-0 defeat which sees them sit one point above the drop zone.

Crawley started the game excellently and almost took the lead within the first 30 seconds. The ball was crossed into the box by Kellan Gordon, who was making his Cralwey debut and was flicked on by Dom Telford. The ball fell at the feet of Tom Fellows, but the winger had a split second to react and shot wide.

Gillingham themselves looked dangerous as Robbie McKenzie had a chance to give the home side the lead in front of a sold-out Priestfield Stadium. McKenzie had plenty of time to shoot at a wide angle but could only find the side netting.

Ben Gladwin curated an attack moments later and almost finished the job himself with a tidy finish in the 12th minute. The Crawley captain found Aramide Oteh in space and received the ball back from the winger, with only Glenn Morris to beat. The ball seemed to get stuck under the feet of Gladwin, and as a result, he was forced out wide before eventually winning a corner.

It was a cracker of a game in Kent, as Gillingham struck back and really should have scored in the 25th minute. A move made by Tom Nichols found its way to Oliver Hawkins, who had the entire goal to aim for. The striker dragged his effort wide to the relief of the Crawley defence.

It is safe to say that Crawley didn’t start the second half anywhere near as well as they did the first. The Red Devils were 1-0 down within the first two minutes of the second half. Tom Nichols had a shot brilliantly saved by Addai, but Shaun Williams was there to smash home a rebound.

Nichols had a brilliant chance to double Gillingham’s lead after a ball over the top found the former Crawley man in space. Addai was alert and expertly tipped the striker’s effort around the post.

Ashley Nadesan was swiftly introduced to try and spur the Reds on to a comeback as the Gills were piling on the pressure.

Gillingham were sitting pretty comfortably with 15 minutes left on the clock. Crawley hadn’t had as much as a shot in the second half and looked very unlikely to trouble Glenn Morris in the Gillingham goal.

Sadly, there was little Crawley could do, and Gillingham took all three points. Crawley are back in action next Saturday as Crewe travel to the Broadfield Stadium.

REDS XI: Addai, Gordon, Conroy, Francillette, Tsaroulla, Powell (Roles 79’), Jenks, Gladwin, Oteh (Nadesan 61’), Fellows, Telford

Advertisement block