Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


Crawley exit the Sussex Transport Senior Cup.

18 October 2023

The Red Devils were dumped out of the Sussex Transport Senior Cup by Worthing on Tuesday evening at the Sussex Transport Community Stadium. Despite an early brace from Ade Adeyemo, a young Crawley outfit would eventually be knocked out by the National League South side.

Despite the final scoreline suggesting otherwise, it was actually a decent start to proceedings for Crawley as they went ahead in the fifth minute. Harry Ransom floated a ball over the top of the Worthing defence for Ade Adeyemo to chase. The electric forward latched on to the pass, took the ball around the goalkeeper, and slotted it home in the back of the net.

The lead barely lasted 15 minutes as Jesse Starkey levelled things for Worthing in the 18th minute. Starkey probably won't hit a better strike in his life as he rifled a beauty of an effort into the top corner from about 30 yards out to level the tie.

Crawley were soon back ahead as Ade Adeyemo scored his second goal of the game. It was a decent move from the Reds, which resulted in the ball becoming free in the box, and after a few bounces, Adeyemo was able to reach out and poke the ball into the back of the net. 

Unfortunately, this is where things began to go wrong for Crawley. Less than a minute after Adeyemo's second goal, Worthing were level again. Former Brighton man Jake Robinson scored his first of two goals in a ten-minute period to level the score before Harry Ransom was forced off with a nasty-looking injury. 

Robisnon's second goal in the 35th minute gave Worthing the lead at half-time. Crawley were dealt another blow on the other side of the half as Adeyemo was also forced off. The stricken Crawley man was helped off at half-time and was not able to continue for the second period.

The Reds looked to find a way back into the game in the early stages of the half, but the closest they came was when Jack Roles rattled the crossbar in the 51st minute. 

Crawley's night was about to get a lot harder as Scott Lindsey's side were reduced to ten men in the 58th minute. Travis Johnson was given a straight red card for an off-the-ball incident with a Worthing forward.

The Red survived until the 84th minute, but eventually, the floodgates opened, and the Rebels scored a further three goals in the remaining minutes. Joan Luque, Ollie Pearce, and Bailey Smith were the final goalscorers to round off a pretty miserable evening for the West Sussex side.

REDS XI: Ashby-Hammond, Davis, Wright (Kastrati 54'), Ransom (Henry 32'), Mukena, Forster, Johnson, Khaleel, Roles, Swyer, Adeyemo (Fish 46')

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account